Sunday, January 20, 2013

Welcome to 2013

I'm starting to realize more and more that the some of the things my parents said when I was growin' up really are true. (groan) The older you get, the faster time seems to go. 

It's hard to believe it's already January 20th. 

I don't know if you're like me, but sometimes I feel like I'm in a rut. Week after week, the same ole routine. Work, church, and the occasional social event or family function. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

And before you know it, a month has passed.

Whoosh! 

And we say where did this year go? 

So far in 2013, I can't say that anything significant has happened in my life. And I really want my life to have meaning and purpose. I wasn't created to sit on the couch and play on my iPhone or watch tv. I know that. But that's just so easy. 

Lately I feel like God is challenging me. I feel like he's wanting me to stretch a little. 

The story Josiah Anthony (@java_jo on Twitter, middle school minister at Long Hollow) told on a recent Wednesday night at our church really spoke truth to me and I hope you can relate to it, too. 

He said he has this enormous fear of roller coasters. The thought of going up in the heights, the speed, all of it just terrified him to the point he avoided them. As in completely. And it was a pretty easy thing to avoid. It's not like you're going to be faced with that fear in your everyday life, right? 

But because of this fear, he never experienced the thrill of the ride. 

As he explained to us that night, you can relate this story to our walk with God. 

God doesn't force us to do things. He will allow us to maintain the status quo in our lives, sitting along the sidelines and enjoying staying within our comfort zone.  

But what are we missing?! 

The thrill HE has for us. 

If you've ever done something that made you get out of your comfort zone, you'll admit it was at least a little scary at first. But I'm guessing it was worth in the end. Maybe it's even one of your life's defining moments. 

God is speaking to me about something. I can sense it. I don't know what it is He wants me to do, but the point is I'm listening. 

Jeremiah 29:11 says "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future." 


In 2013 I plan to be more obedient. 
I plan to serve more. 
I plan to be the child my Heavenly Father can be  pleased with. 
I plan to be MORE in 2013 than I was in 2012.


1 comment:

  1. Well said. These are things we all need to strive to do more.

    ReplyDelete